35 Virginia companies make 2020 Fortune 1000 list
11 Fairfax-based companies made Fortune 500
Thirty-five Virginia-based companies made Fortune magazine’s 66th annual Fortune 1000 list, which was released Monday. The list ranks the 1,000 largest United States corporations by total revenue.
Of the 35 Virginia companies, 22 made the elite Fortune 500 list.
Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC) is the only Virginia newcomer to the Fortune 500 list. Last year it was ranked 560. Eleven Fairfax County-based companies made the Fortune 500 list this year.
“Only a handful of communities can say they are home to 11 Fortune 500 companies. It sends a really strong message from the corporate world that this is a strong, stable, resilient location for headquarters operations,” said Fairfax County Economic Development Authority President and CEO Victor Hoskins.
The next-most represented area in the Fortune 500 was the Richmond region, with 10 companies on the list.
Fourteen Virginia companies moved up in rank from last year, while seven — Freddie Mac, DXC Technology, Altria Group Inc., Norfolk Southern Corp., AES Corp., Owens & Minor Inc. and Genworth Financial —dropped in rank.
Only three Virginia-based Fortune 1000 companies have female CEOs — General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman and Science Applications International.
Not on the list this year are Gannett Co. Inc. and Delta Tucker Holdings Inc, both of which are based in McLean. Gannett was ranked 778 last year, while Delta Tucker Holdings was ranked 994. Gannett, the nation’s largest newspaper publisher, announced in early April that it was negotiating with its vendors, creditors and pension regulators in order to preserve the company’s liquidity.
The following are the Virginia-based companies that made the 2020 list, in order of ranking:
41) Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. (“Freddie Mac”), McLean, Virginia
83) General Dynamics Corp., Falls Church
96) Northrop Grumman Corp., Falls Church
97) Capital One Financial Corp., McLean
131) Dollar Tree Stores Inc., Chesapeake
155) DXC Technology, Tysons
167) Altria Group Inc., Henrico County
168) Performance Food Group Co., Goochland County
173) CarMax, Goochland County
197) Dominion Energy Inc., Richmond
283) Norfolk Southern Corp., Norfolk
289) Leidos Holdings Inc., Reston
310) AES Corp., Arlington
332) Owens & Minor Inc., Mechanicsville
335) Markel Corp., Glen Allen
338) Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., McLean
357) Huntington Ingalls Industries, Newport News
364) Genworth Financial, Henrico County
417) NVR Inc., Reston
434) Beacon Roofing Supply, Herndon
450) Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp., McLean
466) Science Applications International Corp., Reston
549) CACI International Inc., Arlington
648) Parsons Corp., Centreville
669) Brink’s Co., Henrico County
755) E*Trade Financial Corp., Arlington
795) Graham Holdings Co., Arlington
808) Maximus Inc., Reston
817) Park Hotels & Resorts, McLean
828) Pacific Architects and Engineers (PAE), Falls Church
912) AvalonBay Communities Inc., Arlington
920) Tegna Inc., McLean
935) Universal Corp., Richmond
937) ManTech International Corp., Fairfax
950) NewMarket Corp., Richmond
Find the 2019 Fortune 1000 list in our March issue, or click here.
Subscribe to Virginia Business.