Virginia Railway Express creates ticketing app
Alexandria-based Virginia Railway Express (VRE) has introduced mobile ticketing app for paying fares.
The app, called VRE Mobile, lets riders buy tickets and passes on their smartphones. The app is available for free from the iTunes App Store and Google Play.
The app will allow passengers to:
• Purchase, store, use and validate single-ride, day-pass, five-day, 10-trip and monthly passes using smartphones
• Use disability, senior and youth fares with the app.
• Use multiple tickets for multiple riders from a single smartphone.
• Split payment between two credit cards or a credit card and SmartBenefits account.
• Create an account and store information for future purchases and manage account information and purchase tickets that appear instantly on the phone through www.vre.org.
• Purchase Amtrak Step-up tickets for use with multi-ride VRE tickets on select Amtrak trains.
VRE partnered with GlobeSherpa to create the mobile ticketing app.
VRE is the 10th largest commuter rail service in the U.S. and is a transportation partnership of the Northern Virginia and Potomac & Rappahannock transportation commissions.
It serves Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.