12 Va. hospitals rank among top in the nation
Annual Healthgrades report ranks Inova Fairfax, Sentara Princess Anne hospitals in top 2%
Healthgrades released its 2021 list recognizing the top 250 hospitals in the United States, and 12 Virginia hospitals made the cut — with two breaking the top 100. The 12 Virginia hospitals are among the top 5% of the nation’s hospitals in terms of rankings.
The only Virginia hospitals to earn a spot in the top 100 (or top 2%) of all U.S. hospitals surveyed were Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church and Sentara Princess Anne Hospital in Virginia Beach.
The America’s Best Hospitals list is based on hospital performance, clinical outcomes, patient safety and patient experience. Nearly 4,500 hospitals across the country are surveyed and analyzed for their treatment of 32 conditions and procedures, including heart attack, heart failure, respiratory failure, sepsis and stroke.
The top hospitals from Virginia (in alphabetical order) are:
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical Center, Mechanicsville
- Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center, Midlothian
- Chippenham Hospital, Richmond
- Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, Richmond
- Inova Alexandria Hospital, Alexandria
- Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church
- Inova Loudoun Hospital, Leesburg
- Johnston-Willis Hospital, Chesterfield
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital, Richmond
- Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, Richmond
- Sentara Careplex Hospital, Hampton
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital, Virginia Beach
“Now more than ever, consumers understand the importance of researching hospitals and finding the best organization to meet their health care needs,” Dr. Brad Bowman, Healthgrades’ chief medical officer, said in a statement. “Especially in this era of COVID-19, we commend the recipients of the Healthgrades America’s Best Hospitals Awards for their commitment to providing superior outcomes and keeping their communities safe.”
Inova Fairfax also ranked in the top 50 for best cardiac surgery and top 100 for best cardiac care and stroke care. Sentara Princess Anne earned critical care and stroke care excellence awards.